The Cosmopolitan is an enduringly popular cocktail with a mysterious origin. Some origin stories give credit to a bartender in Minneapolis, who claims to have made the Cosmopolitan in 1975. Other versions give credit to a Manhattan bartender in 1988. Whatever the origins, the drink lived in relative obscurity until it became the favorite drink of the gang on “Sex and the City.” Viewers saw the core four characters sipping the pink drink at glamorous locations all over New York City. It solidified the drink as a modern-day favorite on cocktail menus everywhere.
While an iconic TV show gave the drink a boost, it’s the refreshing taste that has cocktail lovers returning to the beverage again and again. It’s a lip-smacking combination of:
- 1 ½ oz lemon vodka
- ½ oz orange liqueur
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- ½ oz lime juice
The citrus ingredients are nicely balanced with the sweet notes of the orange liqueur and the tanginess of the cranberry. Altogether, the flavors create a bright drink that’s fruity, delicious, and easy to sip.
Because it’s such a popular drink at the bar, it’s a mix that ready-to-drink cocktail producers are eager to bring to the market. And, when it’s done right, it works perfectly. When you keep the quality and proportions right, you can capture the taste of a bar-quality cocktail in the convenience of a can. The right canned Cosmopolitan is convenient, portable, and easy to pour over ice and enjoy. That’s good news for those who want to skip the hassle of the bar and spend a girls’ night in, enjoying their drinks while also enjoying the company of friends.
The Cosmopolitan is the perfect drink for Girls’ Night. Its refreshing taste and undeniable visual appeal set it apart. When you can get it in a can, it’s the ultimate easy cocktail to share with friends. Planning your next Girls’ Night In? Here are five ideas to help you make the most of your time with friends while you sip your favorite beverage.
Rom Com Movie Night
Invite your friends around for a night of binge-watching your favorite romantic comedies! Before your guests arrive, have them nominate their favorite romcoms. When they arrive, pull their suggestions out of a bowl so the lineup is a surprise. Make it a sleepover and prep a brunch for your crew so you can make this an all-night event.
- “When Harry Met Sally” (1989)
- “Pretty Woman” (1990)
- “Notting Hill” (1999)
- “Love Actually” (2003)
- “The Proposal” (2009)
Snacks and Drinks
- Pink Cloud Cosmos: Pour a canned Cosmo into a narrow-mouthed glass, then add a piece of pink cotton candy to the top. Make sure the piece of cotton candy is wider than the glass so it sits on the top and doesn’t fall in.
Serve alongside popcorn tubs and small bowls of chocolates, candies, and nuts. Let each person pick their own mix of treats and add it to their popcorn bowl.
Self-Care Spa Night
There is a good chance it’s been a while since you and your friends just had time to unwind and relax. So make a night of it! Invite them over for a night of pampering, drinks included. Encourage them to wear their comfiest clothes, pajamas, or bathrobes and make the most of their night in.
Suggestions for Your At-Home Spa
- Stock up on face masks at your local pharmacy. Keep them in the fridge until ready for use, for added refreshment.
- Set up a nail bar. Include nail polish remover and a selection of polishes.
- Foot soaks. Give everyone their own foot spa (as simple as a plastic tote filled with warm water) and allow them to customize the ingredients. Supply bubble baths, bath salts, or bath bombs that they can drop in and soak their cares away.
Snacks and Drinks
- Tropical Cosmos: Open your canned Cosmopolitans and pour them into iced martini glasses. Add skewers of fruit for an added tropical twist. Let your guests make their own fruit skewers to get precisely what they want!
Keep things light on spa night with treats that are easy to eat, like yummy finger sandwiches. Stir together cream cheese and ranch mix, then spread on white bread and top with thinly sliced cucumber. Cut into finger sandwiches and enjoy!
Sing-a-Long Karaoke Night
Channel your inner diva at a karaoke night! If you have a karaoke machine, hook it up and let guests take turns belting out their favorite tunes. If you don’t have a machine, have a sing-a-long movie night. Choose your favorite musical (Grease is perfect for this!) and encourage guests to sing along to each musical number. There are also karaoke versions of popular songs available on video-sharing sites like YouTube.
Song Suggestions for Karaoke Night
- “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor
- “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” by Shania Twain
- “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston
- “Roar” by Katy Perry
Snacks and Drinks
- Pink Popstar Cosmos: Wet the rim of your Cosmo glass and dip it into sugar to create a sparkly rim. You can add a small amount of pink food coloring to your sugar and then let it dry to make pink sugar for your glasses.
A good snack for a girls’ karaoke night should be something easy to prepare and eat and also delicious. Pizza is the perfect option. Order from your favorite restaurant or make your own at home.
Cosmos ‘n’ Crafts Night
Get crafty with your friends during a girls’ craft night. Either pre-arrange a craft project you can all do together or encourage friends to bring along their current work-in-progress and cozy up for a night of crafts.
Project Idea for Craft Night
Let everyone paint their own wine glasses! Buy a plain wine glass for each attendee and provide a variety of paints and brushes. Encourage each person to create their own design on the glass, such as polka dots, stripes, or floral patterns. You can even provide stencils to make it easier for those who need more confidence in their painting skills. Make sure you seal the glasses in food-safe sealer so they can be used later.
Snacks and Drinks
- Sparkling Cosmos: Add a little sparkling wine to the drink after pouring your canned Cosmo into a tall glass! The sweet wine and bubbles are a fun addition to the drink and make it feel extra special.
Keep the snacks easy to eat on craft night so busy hands can stay free. Pretzels, chips and dip, and veggie trays are all great options.
Dice and Drinks Game Night
Whether you enjoy cards, board games, or a night of your favorite role-playing adventure, game night with the girls is a great way to spend an evening. Have everyone bring their favorite games and prepare for a night of laughter, snacks, and good company.
Great Board Games for Game Night
- Codenames. Players give one-word clues to try and get their teammates to guess certain words while avoiding the opposing team’s words. It’s easy to learn and can provide hours of entertainment.
- Cards Against Humanity. Players take turns picking a card and completing a sentence with a funny or shocking response. Caution: This isn’t a game for the faint of heart, but it’s guaranteed to get everyone laughing.
- Settlers of Catan. Players build settlements, trade resources, and try to gain control of the island of Catan. It’s easy to learn but has enough depth to keep everyone engaged.
Snacks and Drinks
- Chilly Cosmos: Add frozen fruit to your Cosmopolitans! Frozen grapes, strawberries, and raspberries are perfect for this idea. Simply pour your canned Cosmopolitan over the frozen fruit and enjoy. Your drinks will stay cool even when you are busy strategizing your next move, but they won’t get watered down by melting ice cubes.
To elevate your game night to the next level, serve your drinks with mouth-watering cheese and charcuterie boards. A selection of preserved meats, crackers, pickles, fruit, and olives will make for the perfect accompaniment to your drinks. Not only will these snacks satisfy your guests throughout the night, but they will also provide the perfect fuel to keep their brains sharp as they plot their winning moves.
Start with the Right Canned Cocktail for a Winning Girls’ Night In
With the right canned cocktail, your girls’ night in will be the refreshing fun you all need— without any hassle. The Cosmopolitan canned cocktail perfectly balances tartness and sweetness, providing a delightful experience for your taste buds. Post Meridiem offers small-batch Cosmopolitans made with 100% real ingredients in a perfectly measured can. Additionally, the slim can design makes it easy to transport and enjoy anywhere, making it a great addition to your next event with the girls. The result is a bar-quality drink you can enjoy with your friends at home. Place an order for the perfect canned cocktail online, or look for them in your local liquor store.